Chicken Divan is one of those things that everyone seems to have their own recipe/variation for. This is my version (technically my mom's I guess) - nothing fancy, just a plate of creamy goodness. My roommates loved when I made this in college, or rather, they loved fighting over the leftovers.
Note: This is the no-holds-barred/guilty pleasure/in no way diet-friendly/full-fat version. While its super easy to lighten up (using light soups and cheese), if you are really going to enjoy it this is the way to go :)
1 lb. fresh broccoli, chopped and steamed til fork-tender
1 cup cooked chicken, shredded
1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups hot cooked rice
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease an 8x8 baking dish.
2. Spread broccoli onto bottom of pan. Top with chicken.
3. In a medium bowl, combine soups, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and milk. Whisk to combine. Pour over the top of chicken and broccoli. Sprinkle cheese on top.
4. Bake 35-40 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned. Serve over prepared rice.
* There are lots of different ways to serve this...sometimes I actually include the cooked rice in the casserole, adding it as a layer between the broccoli and chicken, just for convenience. Its also delicious with some dried bread crumbs (mixed with a little melted butter) sprinkled over the top of the cheese. And, if you really want to go all out, serve the casserole in prepared puff pastry shells. DE-lightful.