Thursday, June 28, 2012

Spicy Avocado Chicken Enchiladas


I found these on Pinterest a while back, and finally got around to making them after a friend raved about how good they were. I feel like enchilada recipes are a dime a dozen, but these did not disappoint. I really like the sauce (especially how light it is!)) and the little spicy kick it has - I would eat it on its own! I wasn't sure how spicy they would turn out in the end, so just in case I made my 2 year-old a chicken quesadilla with no sauce, but I don't think these were so spicy where she couldn't have had one too.

But, even though I LOVE avocado I'm actually not a big fan of it when its cooked and warm, so when I make these again I will probably leave those out of the filling and just enjoy them as chicken enchiladas with some fresh mashed avocado or guacamole on top. Just a personal preference :)

Here is the recipe from The Novice Chef, with my changes noted.


Ingredients


for the sauce: 
1 Tbsp. butter
1 Serrano pepper, minced (remove the seeds first if you want it more mild)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp. flour
1 cup chicken stock
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 cup salsa verde
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream

Note: After these were done I wished I had more sauce on the enchiladas. Doubling would probably be too much, so next time I'll probably try doing an extra 1/2 batch

for the enchiladas: 
3 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts (about 4 breasts)
8 oz Monterrey Jack Cheese, shredded and divided (I was forced to use cheddar after my husband secretly ate the MJ I had reserved for this recipe)
1 small yellow onion, chopped (I used much less, maybe about 1/4 cup chopped)
3 avocados, peeled and chopped
8-10 flour tortillas (I used corn, and I softened by placing them one-by-one in a pan with a little hot oil for about 30 seconds, then drained on paper towels)

Directions

Preheat oven to 375°F.

In a medium sauce pan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Saute serrano pepper and garlic, for 1 minute. Stir in flour, constantly stirring, and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in the chicken broth, cumin, salt and pepper and bring to a low boil. Once boiling, whisk in the sour cream, salsa verde and cilantro. Remove from heat. 

Spray/grease a 9×13 baking dish. Add 3/4 cup sauce to the bottom of the pan. Add chicken, cheese, onion and avocado to the center of each tortilla and roll, placing seam-side down in the dish. Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas. Top with leftover cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes or until bubbling. Serve immediately.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails