Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Cauliflower Crust Pizza


Last night I jumped on a recipe bandwagon - thanks to Pinterest! - and made this "pizza" that seems to be all over that website. Even though I have no real need for a gluten-free, low-carb pizza crust in my life, its nice to have options right? I was intrigued by the concept and just how this was all going to turn out, and like the many, many people who have "pinned" this and the many people who have commented about it on the recipe blog I got it from - we loved it!

You really would never know its cauliflower, but I really don't know how to describe it. It comes out kind of like thin, soft bread...you should know its definitely NOT a crispy, crunchy crust. It gets a little crispy around the edges but the majority of it stays soft. And you'll probably be better off eating it with a fork. But we enjoyed it all the same, and you could definitely add any combination of toppings you like, the possibilities are endless, just like on any other pizza. I used pizza sauce, caramelized onions, garlic, spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms and sweet Italian turkey sausage.

The only reason I probably won't be making this more often was because it was kind of a pain for me since I don't have a food processor, and the little Magic Bullet wasn't up for the ricing task, which meant I had to grate the cauliflower by hand which wasn't very fun. Other than that it was definitely easy to create.

I also read that you can make this same method but with zucchini - definitely going to try that too!

Cauliflower Crust Pizza
from Eat.Drink.Smile (also Your Lighter Side)...I got some good tips from both of these sites

Ingredients

1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower (directions below)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
A small handful Parmesan cheese (my addition)
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
1/2 tsp garlic salt
olive oil (optional)

Pizza sauce, shredded cheese and your choice of toppings (which will need to be precooked since you only broil for a few minutes)

Directions (my notes are in Italics)

To "Rice" the Cauliflower:
Take 1 large head of fresh cauliflower, remove stems and leaves, and chop the florets into chunks. Add to food processor and pulse until it looks like grain. Do not over-do pulse or you will puree it. *If you don't have a food processor, you can grate the whole head with a cheese grater*. Place the riced cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 8 minutes (some microwaves are more powerful than others, so you may need to reduce this cooking time). There is no need to add water, as the natural moisture in the cauliflower is enough to cook itself. One large head should produce approximately 3 cups of riced cauliflower. The remainder can be used to make additional pizza crusts immediately, or can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week. Note: You'll want to squeeze out any excess moisture from the cauliflower, even if doesn't look like it has any after cooking. I did this by putting it in a thick paper towel then pressing into a fine mesh strainer. Cheesecloth would also work.

To Make the Pizza Crust:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray (I used parchment paper, go this route if you have it). In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup cauliflower, egg, mozzarella and Parmesan. Add oregano, crushed garlic and garlic salt; stir. Transfer to the cookie sheet, and using your hands, pat out into a 9" round (make sure to get it really thin!). Optional: Brush olive oil over top of mixture to help with browning. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove from oven. To the crust, add sauce, toppings and cheese. Place under a broiler at high heat just until cheese is melted (approximately 3-4 minutes). Enjoy!

Note: Some reviewers reported a soggy crust, it will definitely be soft but should not be soggy. I therefore followed the suggestion of flipping the crust over with about 3 minutes left in the baking time, this was easy for me to do using parchment paper since it didn't stick at all, and I was able to kind of roll up one side and flip it. I did this with the first crust I made but not the second, there wasn't a huge difference but the first was a little better.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails