Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Fire Roasted Chile Relleno Rice


I found this recipe a while ago and I instantly knew it would be something we would like, so I'm not sure why I put off so long making it! A creamy, cheesy rice is taken up a notch with the addition of roasted chiles, and the flavor from those was fantastic. This is definitely not a healthy dish, but if I'm going to splurge once in a while I think this is something worth the calories :)

I believe the original recipe (from Tyler Florence) calls for canned green chiles, but the site where I got this substituted fresh roasted assorted chiles, and I followed along with that because I don't think the boring canned kind would make this nearly as good. You can use any variety you like...the site mentioned that it came out pretty spicy, so I stuck with milder peppers. My result had a great chile flavor but amazingly almost no "heat", so it really was perfect.

The only other changes I made were to add some additional seasoning - some garlic powder and cumin. Next time I make this I think I'll add some cooked chicken and make it a complete meal!


Fire Roasted Chile Relleno Rice
adapted from Nibble Me This


Ingredients

2 cups cooked rice (I used long grain white, but I think basmati would be great)
8 oz. monterey jack cheese, shredded (yes, a whole 8 oz block)
1 cup fire roasted chiles (I used 2 poblanos, 3 Anaheim, and 1 red chile pepper - broil until blackened all over and then remove skin and seeds and chop)
2 cups sour cream
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
2 Tbsp. panko bread crumbs
1/4 tsp smoked paprika

Directions 

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. (Original recipe is "baked" on a grill, but I just did mine in the oven)

2. Mix rice, cheese, chiles, sour cream, condensed soup, salt and pepper together in a large bowl. Spoon mixture into a greased casserole dish (or greased ramekins) and top with the bread crumbs and paprika.

3. Bake until the top crust is browned and the cheese is bubbling, about 30 minutes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails