Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Saucy Mozzarella Chicken


I adapted this recipe from one I found on Allrecipes, where it was called "Mozzarella Parmesan Chicken". I decided to change the name for mine, because I felt like it was misleading...calling something Parmesan Chicken to me implies its breaded, fried or baked, then covered in a pasta sauce...and this is not that. So now its "Saucy Mozzarella Chicken", which I think is much more descriptive of the actual dish.

This chicken had good flavor, and covering anything with creamy sauce and cheese usually means a winner in my book. I think I might make a few more changes when I make this again, but it really is quite delish just as it is. I served this with the Orzo and Fresh Tomatoes (recipe in the preceding post).

Saucy Mozzarella Chicken
adapted from Allrecipes
Ingredients

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (pounded out)
1 (10.75 ounce) can cream of celery soup (99% fat-free works fine)
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup diced onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (4 oz) can sliced mushrooms
3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
4 slices low-fat mozzarella cheese

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2.Place chicken breasts in a 9x13 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray, in a single layer. Cover with the celery soup (I put it into a bowl first and stir to loosen it up) and bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Turn chicken pieces over and bake for another 15-20 minutes, until browned. Remove from oven.

3.Combine the mushroom soup, water, onion, garlic, mushrooms and Parmesan in a medium bowl. Pour mixture over chicken, and stir slightly to combine with the celery soup. Top each breast with a mozzarella cheese slice, pushing the cheese down into the sauce. Bake for 20 minutes more until bubbly and golden brown.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails