Sunday, November 6, 2011

Perfect Fish Batter

I came across the recipe for this basic batter, and decided to try it on some cod I had been planning to make. I wasn't expecting it to be so good, but for me this really was the perfect fish batter! It coats the fish just right, and when you fry it comes out super light and very crispy.



The cod started like this...




...turned out like this...


...and was practically perfect in the fish tacos we enjoyed last night. My husband and I kept raving to each other how good our dinner was!




*That slaw you see on the taco was my husband's creation, and it was a-mazing! Too bad he cooks like me and just adds a little of this and that and doesn't keep track of how he makes something...I told him he must try to re-create it so I can share it!


But back to the batter, it would work great on any type of fish, or shrimp, and I'm going to try onion rings next...the possibilities are endless!


Basic Fish Batter

3/4 cup flour
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup water

Sift together the dry ingredients. Add water and stir to combine.

*Notes: The consistency should be a little thinner than cake batter. I added more than 3/4 cup water to get it this way, so just add a little at a time to get it perfect.

I also added some garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder to the batter as well, but the spices really didn't come through much, which was perfect for making tacos since the yummy slaw we had on top packed lots of flavor. If I was going to enjoy the fish on its own though I would probably experiment a little more with some seasonings to give it a little extra flavor.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails