Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Twice-Baked Chipotle Sweet Potatoes



I had this recipe in my mind for a while before I actually decided to take it on, and now I'm wondering why I waited so long! The sweet potato-chipotle combination is such a perfect balance of slightly sweet and slightly smoky - as my 2 year-old says, "yum, yum, yum!"

One thing: be sure not to go overboard with chipotles, otherwise you might end up with seriously spicy potatoes! I kept them to a minimum and was very pleased with how the chipotle flavor is prominent but not overwhelming. You can even skip the "twice baked" part of this and just enjoy these potatoes right out of the blender, which is what I would have done if I didn't have other mouths to feed :)

Ingredients

2 large sweet potatoes
2 Tbsp. sour cream
2 Tbsp. butter, softened
1 Tbsp. finely chopped chipotle chiles, canned in adobo sauce
1/4 tsp. salt
Fresh cilantro, for garnish (can also use green onion tops)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pierce sweet potatoes all over with a fork, then place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour or until tender. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.

2. Cut each sweet potato in half lengthwise, and scoop out the pulp; set potato skins aside. Combine pulp, sour cream, butter, chipotle and salt in a blender and puree until smooth.

3. Place potato skins back on baking sheet. Fill each shell with 1/4 of the sweet potato mixture. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with cilantro.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails