Thursday, December 2, 2010

Bacon Jalapeno Stuffing



I was in charge of stuffing for Thanksgiving this year, and I decided to try something new and different in addition to the usual. I found this recipe on the Food Network website and was definitely intrigued. Its definitely not for everyone due to the spice level, but those who enjoy a little heat gave it great reviews!

I doubled the recipe and it was the perfect amount for a large casserole dish. Also, I thought it was definitely on the spicy side even with the seeds removed from the jalapenos, but my husband said he would actually add another one if we make it again.

Ingredients

1/4 lb. diced bacon
2 Tbsp. butter
1 onion, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 jalapeno, diced (I also removed the seeds)
1 Tbsp. thyme
3/4 tsp. chili powder
3 cups chicken broth
2 egss
1 cup diced pepper jack cheese (I shredded it)
8 cups toasted white bread cubes
6 cups crumbled cornbread ( I made cornbread muffins from a mix and crumbled)


Directions

1. In a large deep skillet, saute bacon in the butter for 5 minutes; transfer to paper towels.

2. To the same skilet, add onion, celery, jalapeno, thyme and chili powder; season with salt and pepper and cook 5 minutes.

3. Pour in 3 cups chicken broth. Simmer until step 5.

4. In a large bowl, mix eggs,pepper jack cheese and the bacon.

5. Add to the bowl 8 cups toasted white bread cubes, 6 cups crumbled cornbread and the hot broth mixture.

6. Gently toss the stuffing, then spread in a buttered 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Dot the top with butter or turkey pan drippings, cover and bake 30 minutes at 350. Uncover and bake until golden, 20 more minutes.

1 comment:

Jen and Jerome said...

OMG! I just had this stuffing on Thanksgiving and it was amazing!! So glad you posted it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails